Remote Start Your Car From Inside Your Home
It’s a cold winter day and you’re standing around waiting for your car to unfreeze, huddled in your jacket, rubbing your hands together for warmth and wishing you’d brought gloves.
If only you could remote start your car and turn on the heater from inside your house where it’s warm.
Remote car starters do exactly that. A remote car starter looks like a key fob, but in addition to locking and unlocking your car door, it can also start your car and turn on the heater and defroster.
You can also use remote car starters on hot days to activate the AC, so your car is nice and cool when you first step inside, even on sweltering summer days.
How Do Remote Car Starters Work?
Compustar, a remote car starter company, explained that, “Remote start systems consist of two key parts: a control module/radio receiver and a remote transmitter. The control module is installed into your vehicle, which allows you to remotely start your vehicle with the push of a button on the remote transmitter.”
Essentially, you install a device in your car that syncs with the transmitter that you can keep on your keychain. Older cars don’t usually come with built-in remote car starters. Instead, they must be installed separately. Newer cars often already have remote car systems, but they must be activated to be a fully engaged remote car starter.
When buying a remote car starter, you’ll want to consider the range. Will it work when you’re 60 feet from your car? One hundred?
How much range do you need? How close is your car when you’re inside your house or office? There are some remote car starters that work from over a mile away, but do you need one like that? The higher the range, the more expensive the remote car starter, so think about how much range you actually need.
Carbon Monoxide, Manual Transmission, and Potential Dangers
According to Consumer Reports, you should never remotely start your car while it’s in an enclosed space (like a garage) because of carbon monoxide poisoning which could be fatal. Only remote start your car if it’s outside.
Alabama Media Group quoted a police department that said, “We want to remind our neighbors of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning. Starting your vehicle inside an enclosed garage can lead to a buildup of the odorless fumes which may cause you to feel suddenly tired, dizzy, and or nauseated. Continued exposure can lead to unconsciousness and even death.”
They gave several carbon monoxide safety tips including:
- Do not leave a car idling in a garage (or other enclosed space), especially if the garage is attached as that can fill your house with poisonous carbon monoxide gas
- Open your garage door before turning on your car ignition
- Drive with the window slightly open during cold weather
- Have a certified mechanic check your exhaust system
- “If you find yourself in a situation where your vehicle cannot be driven on the roadway, do not run the engine for long periods of time with the windows up.”
- If you feel carbon monoxide symptoms, get to fresh air and call 911.
You should also be careful that the buttons on the car remote fob aren’t accidentally pressed while they’re in your pocket. You don’t want to activate your car accidentally.
Additionally, do not try to install a remote car starter in a car with a manual transmission as that could be dangerous. Consumer Reports explained, even if the starter comes with fail-safes, “the car could potentially try to start when it has been left in a gear, and not in neutral, which could cause the car to jerk forward and hit whatever is in front of it.” This could damage your or another person’s car or even hurt or kill someone.
Two-Way Remote Car Starter Systems
You click the button to activate your car’s heater, but how do you know it worked? You don’t want to step outside and find the car remote didn’t work because you were slightly out of range.
Two-Ways Remote Car Starter Systems help solve this problem by allowing the system to communicate both ways. Your remote starter can send signals to the car, and the car can send signals to your car remote. Specifically, your remote car starter will tell you whether the car got the signal or not. That way, if you try to activate your car but are too far away, your remote will tell you and you can get closer.
Remote Starter Cost
Check out Our Remote Car Starter Selections to get started.
- Amplifier - 1 Channel
- Amplifier - 2 Channel
- Amplifier - 4 Channel
- Amplifier - 5 Channel
- Amplifier - 6 Channel
- Amplifier - 8 Channel
- Amplifier Wire Kit
- Audison Sound Pack Components
- Bass Knob
- Blind Spot / Safety Systems
- Bluetooth Receiver
- CD Player
- Dash Cam
- DSP Accessory
- DSP Amplifier
- DSP Processor
- DSP Processors
- Harley Davidson Specific Speakers
- Headlight Upgrade - HID
- Hi-Resolution Audio Player
- Jeep Accessory
- LED Lighting - Boat
- LED Lighting - Controller
- LED Lighting - Jeep Specific
- LED Lighting - Light Bars
- LED Lighting - Motorcycle
- LED Lighting - Strobe
- LED Lighting - Universal
- Line Output Converter
- Loaded Subwoofer Enclosure
- Marine Amplifier
- Marine Amplifier Wire Kit
- Marine Amplifiers
- Marine DSP Amplifier
- Marine RCA Cable
- Marine Source Unit
- Marine Source Unit Accessory
- Marine Speaker
- Marine Speakers
- Marine Subwoofer
- Marine Subwoofers
- Marine Tower Accessory
- Marine Tower Speaker
- Marine Tower Speakers
- Motorcycle Amplifier Wire Kit
- Motorcycle Communication System
- Motorcycle Source Unit
- Motorcycle Speaker
- Motorcycle Subwoofer Kit
- Phone Mount
- Power Liftgate Kits
- Powersports/Marine Amplifier
- Powersports/Marine Tower Speaker
- Preamp Interface
- Radio Headunit - Double Din
- Radio Headunit - Floating Screen
- Radio Headunit - Navigation
- Radio Headunit - Single Din
- Radio Headunit - Touchscreen
- Rear Seat Entertainment
- Rear Seat Entertainment Accessories
- Rear View Cameras
- Remote Start - Smartphone Control
- Remote Start Systems
- RGB Lighting Accessories
- RGB Lighting Controller
- SiriusXM Satellite Radio
- Speaker - 3way Component Set
- Speaker - Coaxial 3.5"
- Speaker - Coaxial 4"
- Speaker - Coaxial 4X6"
- Speaker - Coaxial 5.25"
- Speaker - Coaxial 5X7"/6X8"
- Speaker - Coaxial 6"/6.5"/6.75"
- Speaker - Coaxial 6X9"
- Speaker - Coaxial 7X10"
- Speaker - Component Set 3.5"
- Speaker - Component Set 4"
- Speaker - Component Set 5.25"
- Speaker - Component Set 5X7"/6X8"
- Speaker - Component Set 6"/6.5"/6.75"
- Speaker - Component Set 6X9"
- Speaker - Midbass driver 6"/6.5"/6.75"
- Speaker - Midbass driver 6X9"
- Speaker - Midbass Driver 7"
- Speaker - Midbass Driver 8"
- Speaker - Midrange 3.5"
- Speaker - Midrange Driver 4"
- Speaker - Midrange Driver 5.25"
- Speaker - SPL Coaxial 5.25"
- Speaker - SPL Coaxial 6"/6.5"/6.75"
- Speaker - SPL Coaxial 6X9"
- Speaker - SPL Coaxial 8"
- Speaker - SPL Midbass driver 8"
- Speaker - SPL Midrange driver 6"/6.5"/6.75"
- Speaker - SPL Midrange driver 8"
- Speaker - SPL Tweeter
- Speaker - Tweeter
- Speaker - Wideband 2.75"
- Subwoofer - 10"
- Subwoofer - 12"
- Subwoofer - 13.5"
- Subwoofer - 13"
- Subwoofer - 15"
- Subwoofer - 16"
- Subwoofer - 6.5"
- Subwoofer - 8"
- Subwoofer - Amplified Enclosure
- Subwoofer - Loaded Enclosure
- Subwoofer - Shallow 10"
- Subwoofer - Shallow 12"
- Subwoofer - Shallow 13.5"
- Subwoofer - Shallow 8"
- Subwoofer Grill
- USB Mount
- UTV Accessories - Universal
- UTV Audio Upgrade Kits - Can Am Maverick X3
- UTV Audio Upgrade Kits - Polaris General
- UTV Audio Upgrade Kits - Polaris Ranger
- UTV Audio Upgrade Kits - Polaris RZR
- UTV Audio Upgrade Kits - Yamaha YXZ
- UTV Lighting - Universal